- Go Apple Picking! Last year, we canned homemade applesauce. We’re still enjoying last year’s bounty! You can find local orchards at by searching on pickyourown.org
- Go Pumpkin Picking! Most places have hayrides and other fun things going on. You can also search for this on pickyourown.org
- Visit the local Farmer’s Market or Craft Fair! This weekend our Sunday newspaper had a list of the area’s Fairs & Festivals from September to December. I’ve highlighted the ones I want to try to visit and wrote them on the calendar. Most are free or cheap! Sometimes it’s just fun to get out and look around!
- Take a scenic drive! We live in East Tennessee and love to drive through the mountains. In just a few weeks the leaves will be turning and I can’t wait!
- Take a picnic to a local park. Now that the weather will be cooling off (fingers crossed), you’ll be able to enjoy staying outside longer!
- Try geocaching! This is something I’ve been wanting to try out. The only equipment you need is a GPS. If you have boys, they would definitely get into this treasure hunting experience!
- Be a “tourist in your own town” and explore! Chattanooga (where we live) has all sorts of fun things to do, it’s just a matter of seeking them out.
- Rake leaves…and jump in them! Better yet, rake leaves for an elderly person and teach your children about serving others!
- Go camping! Even if it’s only in your backyard, it would be so much fun and makes memories!
- Go to a drive-in movie! We’ve got one in the area, but it was just too hot during the summer time. Now that it is cooling off, we’ll head on over.
oops…I had a few more ideas!
11. Take advantage of Fall Carnivals put on schools or churches! Kids & Carnival Games…need I say more?
12. Community Football Games! If you don’t have a player in your family, maybe someone you know has a kid in a football league you could go watch.
13. Get a head start on homemade Christmas gifts! So many of us vow to make gifts, but then wait till the last minute to get started. Why not start early and breath easier during the over-scheduled holiday season? Here’s a tutorial to help get you started: Handprint Snowmen Ornament