Broccoli Cheese soup is a winter staple at our house. On those chill-you-to-the-bone cold days, I make broccoli cheese soup. Paired with a homemade loaf of bread, it is cold weather comfort food perfection. This homemade broccoli cheese soup recipe is very easy to whip up–even if you’ve never made homemade soup before! Eat your heart out Panera.
Homemade Broccoli Cheese Soup
- One small onion chopped finely
- One stick of butter
- 1/2 cup Flour
- 2 cups Milk (can substitute with heavy creamy)
- 2- 32 oz cartons of Chicken Stock (or Homemade Chicken Stock if you have it)
- 2 Bags of Frozen Broccoli or Fresh Broccoli chopped
- 1/2 to 1 pound of Shredded Cheddar Cheese
On medium heat, saute chopped onion in 1 stick of butter until onion is clear.
Add 1/2 cup flour and whisk continuously for about 2 minutes until golden brown.
Slowly add 2 cups of milk and whisk well. Once the lumps are dissolved in the milk, add 2 containers of chicken stock. Simmer about 20 minutes.
Add 2 bags of frozen broccoli or fresh chopped broccoli if you prefer. Simmer up to 20 minutes or until broccoli is soft.
If you need to thicken your soup, add a tablespoon of cornstarch and water in a bowl. Mix well and add it to the soup mixture. Boil for 1 minute.
Add 1/2 to 1 pound of shredded cheese, stirring until melted.
Do you need more soup recipes? A group of over 50 Real Food bloggers joined forces and are selling a fabulous Winter Soup ebook! In the spirit of old-fashioned cookbooks compiled by church ladies, you’ll enjoy a new-fangled technological wonder with this collection:
- Over 50 Delicious Winter Soups
- Made with 100% Real Food Ingredients
- Beautiful Color Photos and Print-Ready Pages
- Full Recipe Index Included
- 45+ Gluten free recipes
- 30+ Dairy free recipes
- 30+ Paleo friendly recipes
- 25+ GAPS friendly
- 129 pages
- All made from scratch with no junk or fillers added!!
- PLUS a free bonus printable when you buy at Kitchen Stewardship! (She’s giving away a printable for How to Make Chicken Stock)
- Money-back guarantee
You can view this book on your computer, mobile device, or email it to your Kindle or Nook, and you can also print individual recipes as you wish, either directly from the PDF with the photo, or copy the text into a document and delete the photo to save ink.
The Winter Soup ebook is on sale for only $3.97 until February 4, 2014. After that, it will go up to $9.97. That’s a savings of 60% of the regular price! Get your copy today!