For as long as I can remember, I’ve had Pumpkin Roll at Thanksgiving. It also happens to be my favorite thing to eat at Thanksgiving. I remember watching my mom make them each year to take to the family feast. Then, I watched in amazement at how they were always so beautiful when cut, revealing the perfectly spiraled pumpkin cake and cream cheese filling.
Now that I’m a mom and do a large portion of the Thanksgiving baking, I have mastered the art of the Pumpkin Roll. They seem intimidating to to make, but they really aren’t that hard. Want to give it a try this year? I’ve made a video tutorial below. Here’s the best pumpkin roll you’ll ever eat.
How to Make a Pumpkin Roll Video Tutorial
Pumpkin Roll Recipe
Materials for the Cake:
- Powdered sugar
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup pure pumpkin
- 1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
Materials for the Filling:
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup sifted powdered sugar
- 6 tablepoons butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Powdered sugar
Directions for the Cake:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Grease 15X10-inch jelly-roll pan; line with wax paper or parchment paper. Grease and flour paper.
- Sprinkle a thin, cotton kitchen towel with powdered sugar.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, and salt in a small bowl.
- Beat eggs and sugar in large mixer until thick. Beat in pumpkin. Stir in flour mixture. Spread evenly into prepared pan. (Optional: sprinkle with walnuts.)
- Bake for 13-15 minutes or until top of cake springs back when touched.
- Immediately loosen and turn cake onto prepared towel. Carefully peel off wax paper.
- Roll up cake and towel together, starting with the narrow end. Cool on a wire rack.
Directions for Filling:
- Beat cream cheese, powdered sugar, butter, and vanilla extract in mixer until smooth.
- Carefully unroll cake; remove towel.
- Spread cream cheese mixture over cake.
- Reroll cake.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate atleast 1 hour. Sprinkle with powdered sugar before serving, if desired.
Looking to make more than 1 pumpkin roll? The recipe can easily be doubled (tripling is not recommended). Once doubled, 2 1/2 cups of the cake batter will be needed for each prepared jelly-roll pan; 1 3/4 cups filling for each roll. Baking time remains the same.