On those chill-you-to-the-bone cold days, Broccoli Cheese Soup is my go-to soup recipe. Paired with a homemade loaf of bread, this quick and easy homemade Broccoli Cheese soup is a winter staple at our house. It is cold weather comfort food perfection. This homemade broccoli cheese soup recipe is very easy to whip up--even if you've never made homemade soup before! Eat your heart out Panera.
The thing I like the most about this recipe is that there aren't any weird ingredients. I almost always have the ingredients on hand, and I can use the freshest ingredients available. According to a gluten free friend, she substituted a few ingredients and was still able to enjoy this recipe on the coldest of days. The ultimate test of this recipe is that my kids will even eat it! I'd say that makes this soup recipe a winner.
Like this soup recipe? You'll love our Crockpot Chicken Tortilla Soup!
- 1 small onion, (chopped finely)
- 1 stick butter
- ½ cup flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 (32 oz cartons) Chicken Broth
- 2 bags frozen broccoli
- 1 lb shredded cheddar cheese
- On medium heat, saute chopped onion in 1 stick of butter until onion is clear in a stock pot.
- Add ½ cup flour and whisk continuously until golden brown.
- Slowly add 2 cups of milk and whisk well. Once the flour lumps are dissolved in the milk, add 2 containers of chicken stock. Simmer about 20 minutes.
- Add 2 bags of frozen broccoli or fresh chopped broccoli if you prefer. Simmer up to 20 minutes or until broccoli is soft.
- Add ½ to 1 pound of shredded cheese, stirring until melted. (Don't add it too fast or it will be clumpy)
- If you need to thicken your soup, add a tablespoon of cornstarch and water in a bowl. Mix well and add it to the soup mixture. Boil for 1 minute.
- Serve with fresh bread.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:1 bowl
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 407Total Fat: 32gSaturated Fat: 19gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 92mgSodium: 527mgCarbohydrates: 14gFiber: 2gSugar: 1gProtein: 18g
Nutrition information isn't always accurate.