I don't know about you, but most days are crazy busy! It's highly likely that I will not have time to cook dinner for my family. Bummer, since they kinda like to eat three meals a day. So what's a girl to do when she's pressed for time and has mouths to feed? Fill up the slow cooker, of course! This Crockpot Chicken Tortilla Soup is the perfect way to spice up the holiday season.
This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #YesYouCAN #CollectiveBias
Using basic ingredients--that I always keep in my kitchen cabinets--this soup is a huge time-saver for busy family nights. You'll be happy to know that this recipe for Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup can be started with frozen chicken breasts, so you don't even have to remember to thaw out the chicken! How's that for a genius slow cooker recipe?
My secret ingredient is to use RO*TEL instead of other diced tomatoes, because it gives is a little spicy kick without having to cut up extra ingredients. RO*TEL is perfect for all sorts of spicy dishes and I often use it in my favorite queso dip for parties. You can find RO*TEL at Walmart by the diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, and tomato paste.
*See the printable recipe at the bottom of this post for the full measurements needed for this yummy soup.
Open the cans of black beans and drain them. Pour on top of the chicken.
Open and drain the corn. Pour in the crockpot. (You may substitute with frozen.)
Open the of RO*TEL and pour in the crockpot. Do not drain these first.
Chop a small onion, add to the rest of the ingredients.
Measure and sprinkle chili powder, ground cumin, and garlic powder.
Pour the chicken broth on top.
Mix ingredients well, being careful to leave the chicken breasts on the bottom.
Serve with fresh bakery bread from Walmart, tortilla chips, or crackers. My family prefers to sprinkle cheese and place a dollop of sour cream on top.
Like this soup? You'll love our healthy Broccoli Cheese Soup!
- 3 Chicken Breasts
- 1 small Onion, (diced)
- 2 cans Black Beans, (drained)
- 1 can Corn, (drained)
- 2 cans RO*TEL
- 1 Tbsp Chili Powder
- 1 Tbsp Ground Cumin
- 1 Tbsp Garlic Powder
- 32 oz. Chicken Broth
- Spray slow cooker with PAM cooking spray or line with a slow cooker liner for easy clean-up. Place 3 chicken breasts in the bottom of the crockpot.
- Open two cans of black beans and drain them. Pour on top of the chicken.
- Open and drain a can of corn. Pour in the crockpot. (You may substitute with frozen.)
- Open two cans of RO*TEL and pour in the crockpot. Do not drain these first.
- Chop a small onion. Add to the ingredients.
- Add chili powder, ground cumin, and garlic powder.
- Pour a 32 oz. carton (or 2 cans) of chicken broth on top.
- Mix ingredients well, being careful to leave the chicken breasts on the bottom.
- Cover the crockpot and cook on low for 8 hours. Before serving, pull chicken breasts out of the crockpot. Shred the chicken with two forks and place it back in the soup.
More RO*TEL Recipes
Find more easy to make recipes that are perfect during the holidays by visiting Yes! You Can Recipes. I know they'll have you singing Feliz Navidad in no time!