For as long as I can remember, I've had Pumpkin Roll at Thanksgiving. It also happens to be my favorite thing to eat at Thanksgiving. I remember watching my mom make them each year to take to the family feast. Then, I watched in amazement as they were cut, revealing the perfectly spiraled pumpkin cake and cream cheese filling.
*Affiliate links are present.*
Now that I'm a mom and do a large portion of the Thanksgiving baking, I have mastered the art of the Pumpkin Roll. They seem intimidating to to make, but they really aren't that hard. Want to give it a try this year? I've shared the recipe at the bottom of this post and made a video tutorial below.
How to Make a Pumpkin Roll Video Tutorial
Tools you'll need:
KitchenAid 5-Qt. Artisan Design Series with Glass Bowl - Sea GlassOXO Good Grips Non-Stick Pro Jelly Roll 10 x 15 InchReynolds Wrap Cut-Rite Wax PaperKitchen Towels Vintage Striped 100% Cotton Tea Towel4 Piece Silicone Spatula SetBPA-Free Melamine Large Rectangle Platter
Like desserts? You'll love these recipes, too.
Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup Nutter Butters
Chocolate Peanut Butter Cheerios Bars
Strawberry Shortcake Ice Cream Cake
Easy Homemade Pumpkin Roll
This beautifully spiraled dessert is a family favorite. It's perfect for fall when you want all things pumpkin and makes a great dessert for Thanksgiving.
- ¾ cup All-Purpose Flour
- ½ tsp Baking Powder
- ½ tsp Baking Soda
- ½ tsp Ground Cinnamon
- ½ tsp Ground Cloves
- ¼ tsp Salt
- 3 Large Eggs
- 1 cup Sugar
- ⅔ cup Pure Pumpkin
- 1 cup Chopped Walnuts, (optional)
- 1 (8 oz) package Cream Cheese
- 1 cup Sifted Powdered Sugar
- 6 tbsp Butter, (softened)
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Grease 15X10-inch jelly-roll pan; line with wax paper or parchment paper. Then, grease and flour paper.
- Sprinkle a thin, cotton kitchen towel with powdered sugar.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, and salt in a small bowl.
- Beat eggs and sugar in large mixer until thick.
- Beat in pumpkin.
- Stir in flour mixture. Spread evenly into prepared pan. (Optional: sprinkle with walnuts.)
- Bake for 13-15 minutes or until top of cake springs back when touched.
- Immediately loosen and turn cake onto prepared towel. Carefully peel off wax paper.
- Roll up cake and towel together, starting with the narrow end. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- When cake is cooled, beat cream cheese, powdered sugar, butter, and vanilla extract in mixer until smooth.
- Carefully unroll cake; remove towel.
- Spread cream cheese mixture over cake.
- Reroll cake.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 1 hour. Sprinkle with powdered sugar before serving, if desired.
This recipe can easily be doubled (tripling is not recommended). Once doubled, 2 ½ cups of the cake batter will be needed for each prepared jelly-roll pan; 1 ¾ cups filling for each roll. Baking time remains the same.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
KitchenAid Artisan Tilt-Head Stand Mixer with Pouring Shield, 5-Quart, Empire Red
Silicone Spatula Set
Baking Jelly Roll Pan, 10.25-Inches x 15.25-Inches
12- Pack White 100% Cotton Kitchen Towels 15 x 25 inches, Dish Towels, Bar Towels & Tea Towels
Wilton 3-Tier Cooling Rack for Cookies, Cakes and More
4 Serving Platters
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 292Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 69mgSodium: 208mgCarbohydrates: 35gFiber: 1gSugar: 27gProtein: 5g
Nutrition information isn't always accurate.
Delicious Pumpkin Spice Desserts, Cakes and Treats to bake this fall!
Thursday 2nd of November 2017
[…] our family make take a little diversion from our traditional chocolate roll and instead use this Pumpkin Roll recipe from Happy Brown […]