With Memorial Day and the Fourth of July coming up, I'm thinking about the stars and stripes, the freedom we have in America, and the sacrifices it took to get those freedoms. I'm so grateful to live in a place with so much freedom, even if I do think America is taking some things to the extreme lately--and don't even get me started about the elections! Mercy. It's probably best to stick with desserts, right? These Patriotic Oreos are a quick and easy dessert to take to your Memorial Day of Fourth of July Gathering or Barbecue. They'll be a hit with the kids and you can even include the kids in making them. My boys loved to help with the sprinkles!
Melt the white candy melts in a microwave-safe bowl, along with a tablespoon of shortening, heating for 20 second bursts and stirring in between until you reach a smooth consistency.
Peppermint Bark Oreos
St. Patrick's Day Oreos
Chocolate Peanut Butter Nutter Butter Cookies
- Oreo Cookies
- ½ cup White Candy Melts
- ½ cup Red Candy Melts
- 2 tbsp Vegetable Shortening or lard, (to thin the candy melts a little)
- Patriotic Star Sprinkles
- Melt the white candy melts in a microwave-safe bowl, along with a tablespoon of shortening, heating for 20 second bursts and stirring in between until you reach a smooth consistency.
- Dip the OREOs halfway into the melted white candy, pull out, and let any excess candy drip off, and then double dip.
- Allow the white candy coating to dry.
- Melt the red candy melts using the same method outlined above. Using a spoon, drizzle the melted red candy over the white candy coating in straight stripes. Immediately sprinkle the Star sprinkles on top.